Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Presidential Candidate Profile: Mitt Romney

Mitt Romney looks presidential. He speaks well and usually espouses a conservative point of view. In many ways he comes off like the perfect candidate. I have been holding off on my view of Romney because it is hard to tell if he is a perfect candidate or if he's playing the role of perfect candidate. I personally believe that Romney has true conservative roots which he was willing to water down in order to achieve political capital in a liberal state. If elected president I think he would be a good one.

The negative in my view is that in the last presidential election our side pointed out the flip flops of John Kerry ceaselessly. I dont think it would be a good time to put up a candidate that could so easily face the same scrutiny. I don't think that the whole Mormon thing is much of an issue. I find it hard to believe that anyone would not vote based on a candidate being a Mormon but it seems to be true. I just cant accept that there would be enough of these kooks to sway an election. Romney seems to live the life of a solid values based religious man who holds his faith dear.

If Romney becomes the republican candidate I will support him strongly. I will cast my vote with a clear conscience and will not feel that I am sacrificing my own principles. I don't think that Romney will win the nomination but I do think that he is one of the stronger candidates.

No comments: