Friday, April 13, 2007

Mullet Haired Moron

I was thinking about sitting this controversy out. I have to admit that I can't stand the Don Imus show. Weekdays when I tune into 660 WFAN for some good old sports talk at times I catch the end of the Imus show. Usually I am subjected to no more than a minute or two but I can tell you that is more than enough. That minute or two is much worse than anything terrorist detainees at Gitmo are faced with. As to the controversy, what Imus said about the Rutger's basketball team was uncalled for. Imus himself has apologized and has taken responsibility for his words. Now he has been fired from his radio show and his MSNBC telecast...end of story...well...

What I have found interesting about this controversy is the reaction of those who have spoken out. Jesse Jackson who was long ago forgiven for anti-Semitic statements that he made has been unwilling to forgive Imus for his transgressions. Al Sharpton who has not only put his foot in his mouth but still wears the stains of the Tawana Brawley debacle, has made this his latest crusade. I am also intrigued by the outrage and disgust of common society. Rap and in many cases pop music routinely uses language far worse that Imus. Gangsta rap not only demeans women but adds a good dose of violence and drug use to the mix. Gangsta rap and oversexed pop music are far more dangerous to society than a 60 year old idiot on the radio. Teens idolize these music artists and in many cases attempt to emulate their behavior. Where is the outrage of those who so vocally criticize Imus? I am waiting to see the marches in the streets!

I have a final comment for the Rutgers basketball team. I was disturbed watching their reactions to this controversy. These young women are examples for all to follow. They are strong women who are at the peak of their sport. I can understand why they would be angry with Mr. Imus. What really bothered me is that they truly seemed hurt by his statements. Many of the players said that this took away from their joy at winning a national championship. I would only say this. Ladies, you did nothing to bring this upon yourselves except for rising to the top of your games. Do not let the words of a radio shock jock bring you down. I would also encourage the team to tell the mouthpieces who are exploiting this situation that strong women can take care of their own business and don't need a couple of hucksters to fight their battles for them.

No comments: